There has been a lot of discussion about these changes on news/talk programs, websites and social media.
Below are some suggested links for you to learn more about the American Cancer Society’s announcement.
Please read the information to better understand the American Cancer Society’s position.
One takeaway I had as I’ve looked at these changes is this line from a blog post from Dr. Leonard Lichtenfeld — the deputy chief medical officer for the national office of the American Cancer Society: “Think of it as a road map with choices, and not a series of commands.”
Resources from the American Cancer Society:
- » American Cancer Society announcement: http://pressroom.cancer.org/2015BrCaGuideline
- » American Cancer Society information/resources: http://www.cancer.org/…/american-cancer-society-breast-canc…
- » Dr. Len’s blog: http://blogs.cancer.org/…/the-updated-breast-cancer-screen…/
- » Great information on this FAQ page: http://www.cancer.org/…/frequently-asked-questions-about-th…
- » American Cancer Society breast cancer screening guideline YouTube video (offers a good, quick summary of the how and why of the guideline): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50CdcLJsIEI