In December 2010 and 2011 and 2012, 2013 and even 2014, I tried blogging daily about holiday stuff. Didn’t make it through the month. This year, I will work harder to complete it!
Back around 2009, I asked my friend Stephanie if she knew of any writing prompts with a Christmas theme. So she created “31 things for December!”
I took her original list and updated it some, and renamed it “38 Things for the Holidays.”
This is my favorite time of the year, and I would really like to share my love of the holiday season with the few of you who read this. So please feel free to read my blog through the holidays, and use this list for your own posts.
Here was Stephanie’s original message:
My close personal friend Bobby asked me about writing prompts for the holidays. I told him I’d come up with some. Feel free to use these to do blog entries, status updates, whatever. They’ll tend toward being Christmas-centric. If your traditions follow another path, improvise 🙂
Here’s the list. Not all will be covered, and others will be added as I see fit! As I write, I’ll link them all here.
- Talk about your tree trimming traditions
- Favorite Christmas decoration
- Shopping — how do you do it?
- Thanksgiving food: favs, nah, tofurkey?
- Thanksgiving/Black Friday shopping
- Favorite year-end donations/charities
- White lights or mult-colored? Defend your choice.
- Favorite seasonal story or book
- The current year in a tweet
- Favorite scene in a holiday movie
- Favorite seasonal main dish
- Are you a “Santa hat” kind of person?
- Believe. Believe?
- What was your favorite Santa-related tradition as a kid?
- What makes you Grinchy?
- Favorite seasonal dessert or treat (other than cookies)
- Have you ever taken a Christmas trip?
- Tradition you did/would put an end to
- Ethnic traditions, celebrations, foods, etc.
- Favorite Christmas cookies
- Do you collect anything Christmasy (ornaments, Santas, snowmen, etc.)?
- What’s your stance on SNOW? Love it? Hate it? It’s fine between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Never seen it?
- Strangest holiday get-together
- Who’s the weird relative who comes around for the holidays? (If you don’t have answer, it may be you)
- What’s the tangible gift you’d love to get?
- What are you doing New Year’s Eve?
- Favorite Christmas decoration?
- Weirdest gift?
- Best gift?
- If you could give someone the gift of an experience, what would it be and who would get it?
- What’s the holiday TV special you most look forward to seeing?
- Boxing day: what’s your tradition, if any?
- Why is Santa such a jerk in “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?”
- Something you associate with Christmas that other people may not
- Sum up the year in seven words or less.
- Lamest New Year’s Eve?
- Best New Year’s Eve?
- Create a motto for the coming year.